Our application opens December 1, 2022 and closes on February 1, 2023. We will begin to review applicant materials on February 1, 2023.
We are using a common application hosted by The National Science Foundation. To apply to the program, please follow these steps:
- Visit the list of NSF REU programs by clicking here.
- Scroll down to the search window, enter a keyword (for example Minnesota).
- Look for the University of Minnesota icon and the title "REU in Mechanical Engineering: Energy and the Environment"
- Click the arrow on the left to expand the window of our program description.
- Click "apply." You will need to create a new NSF account to apply.
Application materials will include the following:
- An online application form
- A one-page Statement of Purpose indicating your interest in research and describing your candidacy as a participant.
- A one-page resume.
- A current school-issued unofficial transcript which indicates your current GPA.
- Names, titles, and e-mail addresses of your references.
- At least one letter must be written by a faculty member who is familiar with your academic record, your ability to function independently, and your research and/or career goals. One of the two letters may come from a professional work supervisor.
- After you enter the references' contact information, the application will prompt the references to submit their letters to your application.
- Additional application questions